Associate Superintendent – Business Services
The Westwind Board of Trustees invites applications for the position of Associate Superintendent – Business Services for Westwind School Division #74. Duties to commence as soon as possible, or as mutually agreed.
Westwind School Division is located in the Southwest corner of the province of Alberta. The board office is located in the heart of downtown Cardston and is an easy 45-minute drive from Lethbridge. Westwind serves the communities of Cardston, Magrath, Raymond, Stirling, Mountain View, Hill Spring and Glenwood.
The division employs approximately 500 staff and serves approximately 4400 students in 12 regular schools, one alternative school, and 19 Hutterite Colony Schools. Our student population, includes residents from Cardston County and the County of Warner and the Blood Reserve. The division’s operating budget for 2017-2018 is approximately 52 million.
Reporting to the Superintendent/CEO, and supported by strong finance, corporate, transportation and facilities teams, the Associate Superintendent – Business Services is responsible for overall financial and corporate administration of the Division. As a key member of the senior leadership team, this role includes corporate secretary and treasurer to the board, FOIP coordinator, negotiating committee member and supervisor for transportation, operations and maintenance, technology.
Tourism and Agriculture along with their related industries engage most of the workforce in our area. In addition, local hospitals and senior living centres are significant employers. The division is located near Waterton Lakes National Park and is well known for its beauty and abundant opportunities for year-round outdoor pursuits.
The board seeks a strong leader and team builder who has the skills and experience to manage various departments and projects in a collaborative manner. A systems thinker and strong communicator, the candidate will support the work of the Superintendent and Board in all aspects of financial, corporate and legal transactions.
Desired qualifications include degree/diploma in business administration, accounting or public administration. It is preferred that the candidate have significant experience in responsible financial administration in a school system setting. A competitive compensation package is provided.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. However, applications received by October 30, 2017 will be assured of careful consideration.
Email applications by October 30, 2017, including a cover letter, resume, and a list of at least four written references together with complete phone contact information in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt, Superintendent of Schools
No paper copies will be accepted
Westwind School Division thanks all applicants for their interest; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Bachelor Degree in Commerce/Business Administration with an Accounting designation
- MBA would be a definite asset
- Significant, successful, broad based leadership experience, preferably in a school board setting.
- Demonstrated strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge of current business and project management practices and legislation for Alberta.
- Approachable, willing to spend time with and listen to department/school concerns.
- Strong people skills, team builder, contributing member of senior leadership team.
- Collaborative, compassionate, values relationships, sense of humor.
- Able to assemble a strong team and build capacity in each of his/her departments.
- Systems thinker, strong communications skills, hard worker, flexible in viewpoints.
- Straight-forward, timely, able to explain succinctly in layman’s terms.
- Provides support to the Board and Superintendent.
- Quick study, willing to approach Alberta Education and others for answers.
- Is committed to building strong working relationships within the District and with our school communities.
- Maintains a healthy balance between personal life and work.
- Supervises the management of financial affairs of the District and all of its schools. including banking operations, budget advice and training.
- Demonstrates strengths in planning, delegating, time management, assignment of responsibilities and ensures successful completion of tasks.
- Is able to work collaboratively in order to optimize financial operations for maximum student advantage.
- Is knowledgeable and has an understanding of technology applications to enhance organization and learning effectiveness.
- Coordinates the preparation of the annual budget, monthly statements and audited financial statements.
- Coordinates timely financial reports to the Board and is able to explain in layman's terms.
- Supports an appropriate balance between central and site based decision making.
Corporate and Support Services
- Is approachable and has the capability to work effectively with central and school based administrators, staff and parents
- Provides advice and recommendations on matters affecting corporate services, transportation, maintenance, technology and capital projects.
- Develops, maintains and monitors the implementation of administrative procedures for corporate services, transportation, maintenance and technology.
- Supports the Board and Superintendent in the development of meeting agendas, attends meetings, and ensures maintenance of accurate minutes.
- Facilitates, in collaboration with the Facilities Manager, the successful planning and execution of all modernization and new construction projects, including development of the Facility Master Plan and capital project submissions
- Assists in the negotiation of the Board/ATA Collective agreements and other employee groups.
- Provides for the effective supervision and performance evaluation of employees in departments responsible to the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Develops and monitors administrative procedures for property management, insurance, inventory, student information, FOIP, central records, administration of grants and disaster services.
- Prepares and executes all contracts, leases, bylaws and plebiscites.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Superintendent/CEO.