Invites applications for the position of:
Assistant Superintendent (Competition No: CO ASST SUPER-04-2018 )
Westwind School Division #74 is seeking the services of a progressive educational leader as the Assistant Superintendent of Schools with duties to commence August 1, 2018. The Division provides educational services to approximately 4,600 students registered in schools located in the towns of Cardston, Raymond, and Magrath and the villages of Stirling, Glenwood, and Hill Spring as well as the community of Mountain View. Nineteen schools are located at Hutterian Brethren Colonies. The Division office is located in Cardston.
The Assistant Superintendent will lead a collaboratively developed vision of inclusive learning focused on meeting the needs of all students through support of professional and support staff at the division and school level. As part of the Administrative Leadership Team, the Assistant Superintendent will have the opportunity to work with principals and staff in the implementation of a model of supports and services to meet the learning needs for all students. Areas of leadership will include:
- co-ordination and supervision of specialized programs and services including, but not limited to, early learning programs, programs for students with special needs, English Language Learning programs, intervention programs, learning support teachers, counseling services (academic and general mental health counselling teams) and other programs that support students at-risk;
- provision of consultation services to school staff to support implementation of inclusive learning practices for all students;
- facilitation and supervision of assessment practices that address a continuum of supports and services;
- leading staff development in instructional practices in a collaborative manner that supports inclusive learning (including Universal Design for Learning and Differentiated Instruction and assessment) and ability to design and deliver on professional development opportunities for staff at all levels of responsibility;
- engaging of staff, parents, community partners, and agencies in developing supportive environments and collaborative practices to serve as a foundation for inclusive learning;
- managing human and fiscal resources for inclusive learning and completing all planning and reporting documents;
- staffing and supervising professional (teachers, (substitute teachers) family school liaison counsellors, educational psychologists, behavior specialists) and support staff, specifically education assistants;
- supporting suicide prevention initiatives (Hope Squads and counselling services), supporting mental health awareness and anti-bullying initiatives that meets the need of all students;
- participating on the divisional crisis response team and providing threat assessment support as required;
- demonstrating leadership ability in working with students and staff to increase engagement and student voice;
- providing support and leadership in all aspects of literacy across the curriculum particularly grades 6-12;
- demonstrating commitment to being a lifelong learner and an ability to share that enthusiasm that invites others to continue as learners;
- demonstrating an ability to work with technology in support of students, teachers in the classroom to support learning and accommodations and the various uses of technology at a divisional level including but not limited to: Dossier, Collaborative Response Model, PowerSchool, and divisional Human Resource software.
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications:
- Master of Education or equivalent degree and eligibility for an Alberta Teaching Certificate;
- Successful experience as a school-based and/or district administrator;
- Comprehensive knowledge of teaching pedagogy, structures and systems that support all aspects of a truly inclusive learning environment;
- Personal attributes that demonstrate an ability to serve in a dynamic, engaged, and collaborative environment;
- A strong background in inclusive education practices with an ability to administer & interpret learning assessments to support the development of sound individual education plans where required in consultation with teachers and specialists.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt Westwind School Division No. 74
P.O. Box 10, 445 Main Street Cardston, AB., T0K 0K0
Ph: (403)653-4991 / Fax: (403)653-4641
Or email to: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: Apr 25, 2018 1:00 PM
All applications received by the deadline will be considered.
However, only short-listed candidates will be notified.