Invites applications for the position of: PRINCIPAL at MOUNTAIN VIEW SCHOOL
(Competition No. MV-04-2018-PRIN)
The position will commence at the beginning of the 2018/2019 school year
The suitable candidate will:
- Have demonstrated abilities in fostering and nurturing effective relationships with partners at all levels and will
- - Listen with empathy, be trustworthy, and is student centered.
- - Be an innovative problem solver, who is an advocate for students with special needs, and those who work with students.
- - Have a growth mindset, and engage with the staff in support of student success academically, socially, athletically, and in the fine arts.
- - Be able to assess challenges objectively and resolve conflicts through effective and sincere communication.
- Be invested in the communities of Mountain View and Leavitt and supportive of long standing traditions, such as the Christmas program, that are a part of the school culture.
- Be invested in continuing and advancing the work of literacy, assessment, and outcomes based reporting.
- Be a strong advocate for students, teachers, parents and the school community.
- Be committed to the collaborative structure of Professional Learning Communities.
- Be committed to the philosophy and practices of inclusion for the success of all students
- Have demonstrated leadership in current classroom assessment practices and Outcomes Based Reporting methods.
- Is present and visible in teachers’ classrooms while leading a cycle of continuous improvement that is broad based, data driven, comprehensive and provides coherence in guiding staff efforts toward clear school goals.
- Be committed to engaging the staff and school council in an open and transparent manner in all areas of both educational leadership and fiscal management
- Know and ensure the adherence to legal frameworks and policies
- Possess or be in in pursuit of a Master’s Degree
A principal in the Westwind School Division has the responsibility of leading, coaching and ensuring that effective teaching and learning occurs and is sustained for the benefit of all students. Principals are expected to meet the NEW Leadership Quality Standards for School Leaders. (Ministerial order 2018). Principals are expected to collaborate with system and school leaders and lead their staffs in the achievement of provincial and divisional directions with integrity and genuine commitment. The ideal candidate will be able to interpret the existing culture of the Mountain View School and engage with partners in the school community to support and enhance the current vision for the school going forward. She / He will have a proven record in school administration and be able to sustain growth in teacher capacity.
The NEW practice standards include the following categories with specific descriptors in each.
- Foster effective relationships
- Modeling commitment to professional learning.
- Embodying visionary leadership
- Leading a learning community
- Supporting the application of foundational knowledge about First Nations, Metis, and Inuit cultures.
- Providing Instructional Leadership
- Developing leadership capacity
- Managing school operations and resources
- Understanding and responding to the larger societal context
The successful candidates will be required to provide a criminal record check and child welfare check before employment begins
Please forward cover letter, resume, & 3 written professional references to:
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt, Superintendent of Schools
Westwind School Division No. 74 Box 10, 445 Main Street Cardston, Alberta T0K 0K0
or email to: email@example.com