PRINCIPAL at STIRLING K-12 SCHOOL
(Competition No. ST-05-2018-PRIN)
The position will commence at the beginning of the 2018/2019 school year
The suitable candidate will:
- Have demonstrated abilities in fostering and nurturing effective relationships with partners at all levels and will
- o Listen with empathy, be trustworthy, and be student centered.
- o Be approachable as an innovative problem solver, who is an advocate for students with special needs, and those who work with students.
- o Have a growth mindset, and engage with the staff in support of student success academically, socially, athletically, and in the fine arts.
- o Be able to assess challenges objectively and resolve conflicts through effective and sincere communication.
- Be invested in the community of Stirling and sensitive to the traditions, culture and pulse of the Stirling school community.
- Be well rounded in their leadership in education to include the fine arts, academics, as well as athletics.
- Be able to balance schedules, and resources in a K-12 school to ensure an equitable and balanced approach to education.
- Have the ability and determination to lead from the top while engaging to the whole school community.
- Be invested in continuing and advancing the work of literacy, assessment, and collaboration.
- Be a strong advocate for students, teachers, parents and the school community.
- Be committed to the collaborative structure of Professional Learning Communities.
- Be committed to the philosophy and practices of inclusion for the success of all students
- Is present and visible in teachers’ classrooms while leading a cycle of continuous improvement that is broad based, data driven, and provides clarity in leading staff efforts to achieve clear school goals.
- Be committed to engaging the staff and school council in an open and transparent manner in all areas of both educational leadership and fiscal management
- Know and ensure the adherence to legal frameworks and policies
- Possess or be in in pursuit of a Master’s Degree
- A principal in the Westwind School Division is expected to meet the NEW Leadership Quality Standards for School Leaders. (Ministerial order 2018). Principals are expected to collaborate with system and school leaders and lead their staffs in the achievement of provincial and divisional directions with integrity and genuine commitment. The ideal candidate will be able to interpret the existing culture of the Stirling School and engage with partners in the school community to support and enhance the current vision for the school going forward. She / He will have a proven record in school administration and be able to sustain growth in teacher capacity.
The NEW practice standards include the following categories with specific descriptors in each.
- Foster effective relationships
- Modeling commitment to professional learning.
- Embodying visionary leadership
- Leading a learning community
- Supporting the application of foundational knowledge about First Nations, Metis, and Inuit cultures.
- Providing Instructional Leadership
- Developing leadership capacity
- Managing school operations and resources
- Understanding and responding to the larger societal context
The successful candidates will be required to provide a criminal record check and child welfare check before employment begins
Please forward cover letter, resume, & 3 written professional references to:
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt Superintendent of Schools
Westwind School Division No. 74
Box 10, 445 Main Street Cardston, Alberta T0K 0K0
or email to: email@example.com