Competition No. COMM OFCR-08-2017
Westwind School Division is seeking candidates for the full-time permanent position of Communications Officer. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal, organizational, and technological skills. They will be an accomplished leader in their profession.
The Communications Officer is responsible for researching, planning, implementing and evaluating communications, marketing, and public relations functions and initiatives of the School Division. These include planning, initiating, and evaluating a comprehensive, effective, and engaging communications program. Expertise in designing or maintaining websites on Squarespace is essential to the position. Expertise in writing articles, reports and promotional materials, as well as skills in photography, videography, and social media are essential qualities of the successful candidate.
The Communications Officer reports to the Superintendent.
- Research, plan, implement, and evaluate the Division’s Communications Plan.
- Ensure effective internal and external communications with all audiences.
- Create and disseminate divisional publications, including video, print, and web based publications.
- Maintain the division and school websites using Squarespace.
- Maintain, update, and effectively use the Division’s social media accounts.
- Provide website and social media training to school administrators and administrative assistants.
- Help school administrators research, plan, execute, and evaluate communication plans that align with Board priorities and school community needs.
- Maintain, evaluate, revise, and carry out Divisional Branding and the Divisional Crisis Communications Plan.
- Conduct ongoing environmental scanning for potential issues that may impact the School Division.
- Liaise and assist with the Central Office Administration and the Westwind Board of Trustees on other issues and duties as directed by the Superintendent.
- Work with the Communications and Engagement Committee on issues as directed by the Superintendent.
- Prepare monthly reports on project progress for the Board.
- Be a member of the Canadian Association of Communicators in Education (CACE), and of the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA).
- Pursue Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) through NSPRA.
- Represent Westwind School Division in a professional manner at all times by developing positive relationships with all education and community partners.
Passion for learning and in pursuing professional capacity.
Effective in designing strategic public relations plans using the RPIE (research, planning, implementation, evaluation) model.
Effective user of Squarespace, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other emerging social media tools.
Dedicated to using research-based best practices.
Ability to communicate effectively in all applicable mediums, including video productions, photography, and graphic design.
Proven self-directed worker and team player able to manage competing priorities.
Ability to comprehend and communicate about educational topics and issues with staff, students, parents, community members, and the government.
Formal post secondary education in public relations, media relations, communications, or marketing. Completed degrees or certifications will be preferred. Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) credentials would be an asset.
Preference will be given to candidates who have completed a relevant post secondary degree. Desirable assets include experience working in an educational context, experience working with elected officials, and experience working in the public sector.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a criminal record check and child welfare check before employment begins.
Please forward a cover letter quoting the reference number, a resume, and three written professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to:
Mr. Ken Sommerfeldt, Superintendent of Schools
Westwind School Division
Box 10, 445 Main Street
Cardston, Alberta T0K 0K0
If you have specific questions regarding the position please email those to Mr. Sommerfeldt at email@example.com.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received prior to noon on September 15, 2017, are assured of careful consideration. We thank all those who apply to the position, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.