As the summer season approaches, many families eagerly anticipate a break from the structured routines of school. However, this transition can inadvertently lead to a phenomenon known as the "Summer Slide."
The Summer Slide is a common occurrence where students experience a loss of academic skills and knowledge during the summer break. Without regular engagement in learning activities, children may regress in areas such as reading, spelling, and vocabulary. Similar to any skill, consistent practice is essential to maintain proficiency. Just as a musician needs to practice their instrument to keep their skills sharp, students need to engage in learning to prevent the Summer Slide.
According to literacy experts, the key to preventing the Summer Slide is to ensure active participation in reading and engaging in learning activities throughout the summer. By taking advantage of resources, encouraging regular reading, and incorporating fun educational activities, parents can not only maintain their children's academic skills but also foster a love for learning.
Remember, with proactive efforts; you can conquer the Summer Slide and set your children up for success in September!
- Get kids interested in reading—thanks to magazines!
- Take our Library Lists to the library. (Picture Books | Chapter Books)
- Read some great books! (Picture Books | Chapter Books)
- Let us help as you motivate your kids to read.
- Check out 6 great reasons to read aloud to your kids.
- Create a bit of extra motivation with a cozy reading nook.
Skills Review for Reading and Spelling
- Build language skills with fun games like Boggle, Headbanz, Apples to Apples Junior, and more!
- Enjoy a big bundle of summer-themed stories and activities from All About Reading Levels 1-4.
- Explore more reading review activities from All About Reading Levels 1-4 with our Reading Activity Bundle.
- “Eat” some Banana Splits: a game with compound words.
- Have fun with Word Flippers while practicing reading and spelling skills.
- Try some of these great ways to review reading word cards and spelling word cards.
- Practice reading and spelling words with our Drag Race Review Game.
- Check out this treasure trove of pirate-themed reading and spelling activities. Arrrr!
- Try these 19 Activities for Kinesthetic Learning for learning that sticks!
- Match up the Baby Animal Names with this matching activity.
- Reinforce spelling and vocabulary skills using Word Trees.
- Build your child’s vocabulary with these awesome ideas.
- Play with portmanteaus and build your child’s vocabulary all at the same time!
- Review the alphabet and make some great snacks with our ABC Snacks Cookbooks.
- Check out Learning Ally‘s library of audio books for children with special needs.
- Practice letter recognition with this series of hands-on activities.
- Explore the alphabet with this series of easy-to-assemble letter crafts. (Uppercase Letters | Lowercase Letters)
Resources retrieved from https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/summer-slide/