School Closure Announcement
This afternoon, the Government of Alberta, Alberta Health Services, and Alberta Education announced new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Effective immediately, all K to 12 schools in Alberta will be cancelling classes for an indeterminate amount of time. The government has also announced the cancellation of all licensed childcare facilities, out-of-school care programs and preschool programs.
As a result, all schools in the province, including Westwind School Division, will be closed to students from today Sunday, March 15, 2020, until further notice. School and Division operations will continue and staff are expected to report to work on Monday, March 16, 2020.
Some important information from Westwind:
- Schools will be contacting families to communicate the process by which student belongings can be picked up at the school so we can make this process as orderly as possible. We’d like to emphasize that only those who are healthy should visit the schools.
- We are committed to student learning, even in the midst of this school closure. We are awaiting information about what this process and delivery method will look like in Westwind and will share more information as it becomes available.
The information we have from the province at this time indicates:
- Students will no longer be attending preschool, K-12 or in-person post-secondary classes until further notice
- Every K-12 student will receive a final mark and students will progress to their next grade level next year.
- Provincial assessments, such as provincial achievement tests, will be cancelled
- Diploma exams essential for post-secondary acceptance will continue. Every student who is eligible to graduate from Grade 12 this year will graduate
- Government will work with post-secondary institutions to ensure these COVID-19 measures don’t prevent students from being eligible for admission to post-secondary studies for the coming school year.
- Campuses will remain open and teachers and other school staff are expected to work.
- Additional information will be sent out by the Minister of Education in the next few days
Please know, our number one priority is the health and safety of all students, staff and school communities. Westwind will continue to work with Alberta Education and the provincial health authority. We will continue to keep our schools and families updated as information becomes available.