Text Message Communication
Westwind School Division uses SchoolMessenger as a mass communication tool to send notifications to parents/guardians via phone, email and text message. This system is especially important because it allows us to notify you in the event of an emergency situation, such as a lockdown, evacuation, or natural disaster.
The information we use to contact you is provided to us through annual student registration forms. If you are not sure whether the school has all your correct information or if changes need to be made during the school year, please contact your school office. Please be aware that if your current contact information is not up-to-date you will not receive important notifications, including emergency messages.
Many of our Westwind families have requested that we use the SMS text feature to communicate with our families, and we believe that this method will allow us to reach you effectively in time-sensitive or urgent situations. In order to communicate with you via text message, we will be sending you a confirmation message using the information you have provided to your school. This will be a one time message that will allow you to be added to our database so we can communicate with you effectively via text message.
This message will be sent out on Friday, April 12 at 12:00 p.m. The message you receive will come from the following number 978338 and is an SMS Short Code Number for School Messenger. This is the message you will receive:
“You’re registered for SchoolMessenger messages. Txt STOP to quit, HELP for help.
Std msg/data rates may apply. Freq varies. schoolmessenger.com/tm”
Please note: If you do not receive a text message on Friday, April 12 at 12:00 p.m. it may be for one of two reasons:
- We do not have your correct cell phone number on file. If you are unsure the school has all your correct information or if changes need to be made during the school year, please contact your school office.
- If you previously opted-in to receive text (SMS) messages from Westwind you will not receive this text message again.
In compliance with the law in Canada regarding these types of messages, you will have the option to opt-out of these messages, but it is important that you understand that if you decide to opt-out you may not receive important messages regarding events, school cancellations or even emergencies at our schools.
If you have questions about this opt-in registration messages, please contact Rebecca Bultsma, Communications Officer at 403-653-4991.
IN A NUTSHELL:
- Westwind believes it is important to have the ability to communicate with our families via SMS/text, especially in the event of an emergency, such as a lockdown, evacuation or natural disaster.
- You will be receiving a text confirmation message on Friday from School Messenger. If you do not receive one, please contact the school office to confirm that your correct cell phone information is on file.
- You may choose to opt out of text messages, but we hope you don’t! We want to be able to notify you in the event of an emergency and keep you informed.