Westwind's Wellness theme for February is HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS.
Did you know that friendships can not only enrich your life, but also improve your overall health and wellbeing?
Research has proven that adults who have strong social support networks have fewer health problems, including depression, high blood pressure and an unhealthy body mass index (BMI).
A few of the benefits of friendships of friendship may include:
- Increasing your sense of belonging and purpose
- Boosting your happiness and reducing your stress
- Improving your self-confidence and self-worth
- Helping you cope with traumas, such as divorce, serious illness, job loss or the death of a loved one
- Encouraging you to change or avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as excessive drinking or lack of exercise
While social media is a great way to make new friends and maintain existing relationships, research also suggests that close online relationships don't always translate to close offline relationships and that face-to-face interactions with friends may be more meaningful and more effective in strengthening friendships.
For more information about the importance of friendship and advice on building healthy friendships, CLICK HERE.