Frequently Asked Questions - SMS Text Opt-In
WHY SHOULD I OPT INTO TEXT MESSAGING WITH WESTWIND?
When you opt into text messaging it allows our schools to quickly update you with urgent and important information about your student and from the school. We will not send you spam notifications. Our notifications will focus on things like student absences and late notices, snow days and school closures, emergency situations, reminders and deadlines.
I THOUGHT I WAS ALREADY OPTED INTO TEXT MESSAGING?
You may remember opting into text messaging in the past. Due to the migration of our School Messenger services from the United States to Canada, and due to CASL legislation we will require all parents to re-opt into text message service with School Messenger and Westwind School Division.
HOW CAN I BE SURE YOU HAVE MY CORRECT CONTACT INFORMATION?
School Messenger uses contact information from the Powerschool database - this is information provided on student registration forms. Parents can verify their contact information by downloading the Powerschool app on their smartphone or contacting their child’s school directly. Parents can also log in to the Powerschool portal on a computer to review the contact information that we have for you at ps.westwind.ab.ca/public/ under account preferences.
HOW DO I "OPT-IN" TO RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES?
- Confirm your contact information in Powerschool or with your child's school. (It may take 24 hours for this to update, so please wait before going to step 2).
- Text "YES" to 978338 OR
- Respond to an opt-in text from a short code (978-338). Please respond by texting "Y" or "Yes" to activate text messaging.
HOW TO RECIPIENTS OPT-OUT OF RECEIVING TEXT MESSAGES?
Recipients not wishing to receive text messages to a particular number can simply do one of the following:
- Don't opt-in and don't reply to the opt-in invitation message.
- Text "STOP" to the short code.
- Opt out online at http://schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg
I RECEIVED A TEXT MESSAGE THAT SAYS IT'S FROM SCHOOL MESSENGER? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
If it was from 978338, that was the Opt-In Invitation message sent by School Messenger. To continue receiving informational text messages from the school(s), reply with "Y". If you do not reply, you won't receive any future texts from our schools.
I "OPTED-IN", BUT I AM NOT RECEIVING TEXTS?
Ensure that your information is up-to-date in Powerschool by logging into the app or visiting ps.westwind.ab.ca/public/. It may take 24 hours for a number to become active after being changed or added to the division's system.
Send a text with "Y" from that device to the division short code (978-338). You should receive an opt-in confirmation message from the service.
If you want to receive texts on multiple devices, each device number must complete the Opt-In process.
Confirm the division has actually attempted to send a School Messenger SMS text message.
HOW DO I KNOW IF IT WORKED?
After you text one of the key words to the short code the system will ALWAYS respond back with one of three messages:
- Opt-in Response: You're registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. msg freq varies. schoolmessenger.com/text
- Opt-out Response: Your'e unsubscribed from SchoolMessenger. No more msgs will be sent. Reply Y to re-subscribe, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. schoolmessenger.com/txt
- Help or Unknown Key Word Response: SchoolMessenger notification service: Reply Y to subscribe or STOP to cancel. Msg&data rates may apply. Msg freq varies. schoolmessenger.com/txt
Any other response - or no response: indicates the recipient should contact their wireless device provider to have SMS messaging/premium content enabled.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF I TEXTED "Y" OR "YES" AND I RECEIVED SOME SORT OF ERROR MESSAGE BACK?
If you receive what appears to be an error message, similar to one of the following, it most likely means that short code text messaging is not enabled on your wireless subscription plan:
- service access denied
- Message failed
- Shortcode may have expired or shortcode texting may be blocked on your account
- Does not participate
These replies DO NOT indicate that the wireless provider can't receive messages from SchoolMessenger. Rather, they are an indication that the specific mobile device does not have short code SMS texting enabled for that number (this is sometimes disabled by default on company provided cell phones). To address this, contact your wireless provider.
WILL I BE CHARGED FOR THE TEXT MESSAGES THAT I RECEIVE FROM SCHOOL MESSENGER?
SchoolMessenger does not charge recipients for the text messages that they receive or send to the short code; however, wireless providers may charge for individual text messages, depending on the plan associated with the wireless device. Please consult your carrier if you are uncertain.
If you have questions about please contact Rebecca Bultsma, Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-653-4991