Administrative Procedure 206
The Division will provide the curriculum Theme V Unit as mandated through the grades 4 through 6 Health Program, the grades 7 through 9 Health and Personal Life Skills Program and Senior High School Life Management (CALM 20 Course).
- Each year before the Theme V unit is taught in a school, the Principal will notify parents via an opt out form, and on the school website; principals may also provide notification via the school newsletter outlining:
- The content of Theme V for each applicable grade.
- The date that each topic will be discussed.
- The teacher(s) who will instruct the unit.
- Parent(s) may opt out by:
- Exempting their student(s) from any part of the unit.
- Exempting their student(s) from all of the unit by notifying the Principal at least two (2) school days before the instruction is scheduled.
- Alternate learning experiences shall be provided for those students not taking Theme V.
Section 18,32,33,52,53,58.1,196,197,222 Education Act
Alberta Bill of Rights
Alberta Human Rights Act
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Constitution Act, 1982
Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Amendment Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Approved: September 12, 1996
Amended: February 7, 2012; August 21, 2018