Westwind School Division shares a commitment with the Ministry of Education that all First Nations, Metis, and Inuit students have the opportunity to achieve or exceed the educational outcomes established for Alberta students.
Fulfilling this commitment requires targeted supports and close collaboration to eliminate gaps in achievement and engagement and improve student retention and graduation rates of First Nations, Metis and Inuit students.
We support a holistic understanding of First Nations, Metis, and Inuit cultures, worldviews, histories, languages, contributions, perspectives, experiences and contemporary contexts. Effective practices that contribute to positive learning experiences, improved student well-being and increased success are an integral part of an inclusive, nurturing and welcoming learning environment. Strong respectful relationships are essential to fostering and honouring the students' stories, cultures, and languages while seamlessly blending Aboriginal culture and curriculum to maximize learning.
In the spirit of collaboration, Westwind School Division strives to build strong relationships with all schools and school authorities; First Nations and First Nations organizations; Kainai Board of Education; interagency partners; the Metis Settlements of Alberta; Metis General Council; the Metis Nation of Alberta; Indigenous and Northern Affairs; and other ministries; to support the success of Westwind School Division First Nations, Metis, and Inuit students.
Westwind School Division is sincerely dedicated to success for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit students.
- Walking Together: Alberta Teachers Association Indigenous Education and Walking Together
- Reclaiming Youth International: The Circle of Courage is the foundation of RYI
- Education is Our Buffalo - Teachers Resource - ATA
- FNMI Literacy and Numeracy Promising Practices in Fort McMurray
- Four Directions Teachings: Online resource
- Empowering the Spirit: Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia (ARPDC)
- Talking Together: Talking Circle Fact Sheet
- Full Circle: First Nations, Metis, Inuit Ways of Knowing: classroom resources
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Project of Heart
- KAIROS Canada: Blanket Exercise
- Secret Path
- Celebrating Indigenous Peoples in Canada: Learning and Activity GuideGovernment of Canada
- FNMI Lesson Plans: Learn Alberta
- Social Studies Literature Connections (K-12)
- Aboriginal Collection: A Thematic Listing of Resources with Aboriginal Content
- Teaching and Learning Through Culture: Incorporating Aboriginal Perspectives into the Elementary Curriculum
- Teaching controversial issues
- Guiding Voices: A Curriculum Tool for Infusion of First Nations, Metis and Inuit Perspectives
- ARPDC FNMI Moodle Resources - Grade 1-12 Curriculum Support
- Literacy Seed Kit
- Annick Aboriginal Collection
- The Learning Circle: Classroom Activities on First Nations in Canada: A Learning Resource for ages 12 - 14
- Martin Family Initiative: Online educational resources
- Canadian Encyclopedia Indigenous Peoples Collections: First Nations history/culture/communities