Administrative Procedure 211
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL)
The Division supports the provision of educational programs for students who have recently arrived in Canada, and Alberta resident students who require special assistance in learning English as a second language in order to follow classroom instruction in English.
- Each Principal will code students in ESL programs on the Student Information System for transmitting to Alberta Education.
- Each Principal will develop a program plan for students in ESL programs which will:
- Encourage rapid integration of the student(s) into the school and community environment; and
- Give attention to the linguistic, cultural and academic needs of the students.
- ESL programs may be developed for students who do not speak English when entering Division schools even though they do not qualify under the Alberta Education definition of ESL (for grant purposes).
- ESL programs will be provided in accordance with the Alberts Education Programs of Study and appropriate ESL curricular documents.
Section 3,11,17,18,33,52,53,197,222 Education Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Approved: December 10, 1998
Amended: May 7, 2001; August 21, 2018