Administrative Procedure 363
The Division supports the use of specialized assessments.
Informed consent means the parent/guardian/independent student has been provided with all information relevant to the activity for which consent is sought, understands and agrees, in writing, to the carrying out of the activity and understands that the granting of consent is voluntary and may be withdrawn at any time.
Specialized assessment means individualized measurement across a variety of domains for the purpose of developing and providing individualized programming for students. Specialized assessment includes assessment of intellectual abilities, academic performance, emotional and behavioural development and physical development relevant to students' educational performance.
- Written informed consent of the parent or independent student shall be obtained for a specialized assessment or referral.
- Qualified professionals shall conduct specialized assessments, interpret results and provide programming recommendations to parents, teachers, and other appropriate personnel.
- Specialized assessments shall be conducted in accordance with the expectations outlined in Alberta Education's Standards for Psycho-educational Assessment and by the standards and guidelines set by each professional organization for its members.
- A notation shall be made in the Student Record of any specialized assessment of a student provided by the Division, which includes the name of the person who conducted the assessment and the date of the assessment.
- Specialized assessment results shall be stored in the Student Record.
- Release of information from a specialized assessment to a third party shall only be released with written informed consent of the parent or independent student, or in compliance with a court order.
- Parents or independent students are responsible for costs of specialized assessments obtained outside the school, unless the decision to obtain an outside specialized assessment is made by the Superintendent.
Section 11,18,31,32,33,41,52,53,55,56,196,197,222 Education Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Practice Review of Teachers Regulation 11/2010
Student Evaluation Regulation 177/2003
Student Record Regulation 225/2006
Ministerial Order 015/2004 – Standards for Special Education
Ministerial Order 001/2013 – Student Learning
Ministerial Order 016/97 – Teaching Quality Standard
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Achievement Testing Program Grades 3, 6 and 9 General Information Bulletin
Diploma Examinations Program General Information Bulletin
Principles for Fair Student Assessment Practices for Education in Canada
Approved: August 21, 2018