Administrative Procedure 563
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY AND MAINTENANCE
A well-maintained bus, driven by a safety-conscious bus operator is the safest most effective means of transporting student(s). The following procedures shall be followed by all transportation personnel.
- It is mandatory that all operators wear seatbelts.
- It is recommended that students be assigned seats. This will assist the bus operator in emergency and discipline situations.
- It is the responsibility of the bus operator to maintain proper discipline at all times. This includes noise levels, students sitting properly in the seats, and students not moving around while the bus is in motion.
- It is the responsibility of the bus operator to instruct students how to properly evacuate the bus in an emergency and to make students familiar with exits and emergency procedures.
- It is the responsibility of the bus operator to see that students properly enter and exit the bus. Alberta
- Transportation regulations are to be followed explicitly for light warning systems and procedures for students crossing streets.
- Pick-Up Points
- All designated points will be established under the guidelines of Alberta Transportation.
- Pick-up points are to be safe, have adequate visual distance and are not to require student(s) to cross dangerous obstacles to reach the points.
- The contract bus operator will be responsible for semi-annuals done by a mechanic properly licensed for that purpose. A copy of the required inspection form must be returned to the Transportation Supervisor.
- The Transportation Supervisor will ensure that semi-annuals are scheduled and performed by a licensed mechanic. A copy of the completed inspection certificate must be included in the bus document binder.
- It is the responsibility of the bus operator to see that the bus is properly maintained and serviced on a regular basis.
- Buses are to be kept clean both inside and outside. Windows will always be clean.
- It is the responsibility of the bus operator to properly perform Pre and Post Trip Inspections as per the guidelines in the "S" Endorsement Program.
Section 33,52,53,59,68,222,225 Education Act
Traffic Safety Act
Commercial Vehicle Safety Regulation 121/2009
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (Amended A.R. 125/2005)
Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation 304/2002
Vehicle Equipment Regulation 122/2009
Approved: April 11, 1995
Amended: June 16, 2009; January 9, 2018; August 21, 2018