Board Policy 4
TRUSTEE CODE OF CONDUCT
The Board commits itself and its members to conduct which meets the highest ethical standards. It is expected that all personal interactions and relationships will be characterized by mutual respect, which acknowledges the dignity and affirms the worth of each person.
- Trustees shall carry out their responsibilities as detailed in Policy 3 – Role of the Trustee with reasonable diligence.
- Trustees shall endeavour to work with fellow Board members in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that may arise during a debate.
- Trustees shall commit themselves to dignified, ethical, professional and lawful conduct.
- Trustees shall reflect the Board’s policies and resolutions when communicating with the public.
- Trustees shall keep in confidence any personal, privileged or confidential information obtained in their capacity as a trustee and not disclose the information except when authorized by law or by the Board to do so.
- While elected from specific wards, trustees must represent the best interests of the entire Division.
- Fiduciary responsibility supersedes any conflicting loyalty such as that to advocacy or interest groups and membership on other Boards or staffs, or acting as an individual consumer of the Division’s services.
- Trustees shall disclose the nature of any conflict of interest, and abstain and absent themselves from discussion or voting on the matter in question.
- Trustees shall be fully cognizant of sections 80-91 of the School Act; be fully aware of the pecuniary interest clause, the need for declarations when required and the penalty for failure to comply and shall disclose the nature of any pecuniary interest.
- Trustees shall not use their influence to advance personal, family or friends’ interests or the interests of any organization with which the trustee is associated.
- Consequences for the failure of individual trustees to adhere to the Trustee Code of Conduct are specified in Policy 4 Appendix – Trustee Code of Conduct Sanctions.
Section 33, 34, 51, 52, 53, 64, 67, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 Education Act
Approved: August 21, 2018
Reviewed: October 3, 2019