Principals and appropriate Division Office personnel shall ensure that the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag are displayed at schools and other Division facilities.
- The Canadian flag shall be displayed in each elementary school classroom.
- The Canadian and Alberta flags shall be flown at each school on every instructional day.
- The Canadian and Alberta flags shall be displayed at all public functions held in the schools.
- When a flag becomes tattered, torn or faded to the extent that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, it
- shall be turned over to the Facility Services Manager for proper disposal.
- Flags shall be flown at half-mast in response to the death of persons associated with the Division and for prominent citizens.
- Flags shall be displayed in accordance with a general protocol as set out by the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta.
- The Principal shall:
- Purchase flags, as required, for the school.
- Display the Canadian and Alberta Flags in accordance with this Administrative Procedure. Principals may display flags in other areas within the school at his/her discretion.
- Placement of the flags shall be such that when displayed with another provincial or national flag, the Canadian flag is always placed at the same height as the other, and to the left of an observer facing both flags.
- Flags shall be flown at half-mast:
- At all Division/school sites upon the death of a current student, staff member or trustee;
- At the local school site upon the death of someone who is an integral part of the school community (this could include retired staff);
- At the discretion of the Superintendent upon the death of a prominent citizen not associated with the Division;
- For a period commencing at the notification of the death, up to and including the day of the funeral, at the site(s) where the deceased was closely associated or connected; and
- On the day of the funeral for cases other than those described in clause 4.4.
- Current rules for flying the flag can be found on the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta websites.
Section 52, 53, 58, 61, 222 Education Act
Approved: August 21, 2018
Last Reviewed: July 2021