The installation of automated external defibrillators (AED) within Division facilities is supported. The importance of taking appropriate action, whenever an emergency threatens the safety, health or welfare of a student or staff member at school or during school-sponsored activities is recognized.
- The Division has authorized the placement and use of automated external defibrillators (AED) at Division facilities.
- In a medical emergency, the doctrine of “in-loco parentis” applies as outlined in the Emergency Medical Aid Act.
- Any Division facility installing an AED must ensure the following:
- AED meets Health Canada’s Medical Device Regulations.
- AED is approved by Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Notification to the Emergency Response Communications Center (EMS dispatch) of type and location of AED.
- Establishment of procedures for the monitoring and maintenance of the AED.
- In any school where there is no AED, the Division will pay half of the cost of the device to ensure the device is made available, with the appropriate training required to appropriately operate the device.
Section 18, 20, 45, 45.1, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Emergency Medical Aid Act
Approved: August 21, 2018