Consider the following to determine if there is reasonable cause to file a notice with your Public Interest Commission Designated Officer:
- The Public Interest Disclosure Act applies to employees of government departments, offices of the Legislature and public entities as prescribed in the Public Interest Disclosure Act Regulations, who in good faith disclose wrongdoing in accordance with the Act.
- The wrongdoing must have occurred after June 1, 2013, and within 2 years of today’s date.
- The type of wrongdoing must fall within one (or more) of the following categories:
- Contravention of an Act or a Regulation (Contravention of a Law)
- An act or omission that creates a substantial and specific danger to the life, health or safety of individuals.
- An act or omission that creates a substantial and specific danger to the environment.
- Gross mismanagement of public funds or a public asset.
- Counselling an individual to commit wrongdoing mentioned above
- If none of the above, the Public Interest Disclosure Act does not apply. You are to consider internal department/organization resolution mechanisms.
Under the following circumstances you would make the Disclosure to the Public Interest Commissioner in Edmonton:
- No procedures have been established within my department/public entity, to make a disclosure.
- The subject matter involves the Chief Officer or Designated Officer of my department/public entity.
- There is an imminent risk of substantial and specific danger to the life, health or safety of individuals, or to the environment, and there is insufficient time to make a disclosure to my Designated Officer.
- An individual reasonably believes that a reprisal is likely to be taken or directed against him/her if the disclosure is made to the Designated Officer.
- To proceed with making a Disclosure of Wrongdoing to the Public Interest Commissioner, please complete the form online @ http://www.pic.alberta.ca/wrongdoing-form.aspx
For more information, clarification and/or advice – you may contact the Provincial Public Interest Commissioner in Edmonton.
Office of the Public Interest Commissioner
10303 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 2800 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C3
To make a formal disclosure of wrongdoing to your Designated Officer (Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources) please complete the guide on the next page and submit it in person or by email attachment.
Assistant Superintendent - Human Resources
Public Interest Designated Officer
Box 10, 445 Main Street Cardston, AB T0K 0K0
Knowingly making a false or misleading statement is an offence pursuant to the Act.
Section 33,52,53,68,196,197,203,204,222,225 Education Act
Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act
Teaching Profession Act
Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Regulation
ATA Code of Professional Conduct
Approved: August 21, 2018