The Division encourages principals to maintain library programs that enrich and support the instructional program of the school and promote literacy development and a love for reading in students. The library/learning commons of the school is to also promote life-long learning skills that will promote creative thinking, problem solving and the researching and evaluation of information obtained from any source.
- Library services in each school are to involve the leadership of the Principal and full cooperation of teachers and support staff.
- Under the direction of the Superintendent, each librarian shall receive guidance and training as assistance to manage and develop the school library/learning commons.
- Each library/learning commons is to achieve or exceed the standards as outlined by Alberta Education.
- Under the direction of the Principal, each school shall provide a budget allocation for the maintenance and continued improvement of library/learning commons resources.
- Each Principal shall organize a library/learning commons committee, including the librarian, at least one (1) certificated teacher and a school administrator to develop a Strategic Plan for the Library in harmony with Administrative Procedure 251 – Library Materials Selection.
Section 3,18,33,41,52,53,55,196,197,222 Education Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Approved: November 6, 2003
Amended: January 24, 2013; January 9, 2018; August 21, 2018