The Division views all approved transportation to be an extension of the school, and the same rules and procedures that apply to students in the school would apply on the bus as well. It is essential that the safety of the student be the primary consideration at all times and the following procedures are intended to provide a safe and stress-free environment on the bus.
- The bus operator is in full charge of the bus. Students are expected to obey the bus operator or an assigned monitor as they would any school official.
- The bus operator may assign students a seat for which they are responsible.
- Students are expected to be seated while the bus is in motion and to keep arms and legs within the seating area. Under no circumstances shall any part of the body be extended out of the window.
- Students are to be punctual arriving at their pick-up point and shall be prompt in getting to the bus after school is dismissed. Excessive tardiness shall be reported to the Principal for further action.
- Students are permitted to bring regular school items (books, lunch kits, etc.) on board and these should be held on the student's lap where possible. Exceptional items (ice skates, band instruments, etc.) are to be approved by the bus operator and are to be safely stowed.
- Unnecessary conversation with the bus operator or any action, which might divert the bus operator's attention, is to be avoided.
- There is to be no use of tobacco on any school bus, nor is possession or use of alcohol or drugs permitted.
- Students are to avoid littering the bus and are to remove any wrappers or other garbage they are personally responsible for.
- Eating on the bus shall be at the discretion of the bus operator.
- Students will be dropped off at their regular location unless the parent(s) has informed, in writing when possible, the bus operator otherwise.
- Students wishing to ride a bus to which they are not assigned shall present proof of parental permission to obtain an authorization slip from the office and will only be allowed on the bus if there is adequate seating at that time.
- When entering or exiting, students and or parents shall follow the direction of the bus operator and shall always pass in front of the bus.
- The students or parents are responsible to notify the bus operator on mornings when service is not required.
- The student and/or the parent shall be held responsible for any wilful damage done to the bus.
- On school buses where seat belts have been installed, all passengers are required by law to wear seat belts.
- The passenger/parent will be responsible for the payment of any fines incurred for non-compliance.
Section 11, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37, 52, 53, 59, 197, 222, 257 Education Act
Traffic Safety Act
School Transportation Regulation AR 96/2019
Approved: January 22, 2004
Amended: November 3, 2009; January 9, 2018; August 21, 2018