As a student advances from elementary and junior high school to high school, student advancement shifts from grade level to course level. The Principal is authorized to place a student in a particular course or particular program in harmony with the following procedures.
- High school services that may result in alteration or modification of a student's regular program include:
- Knowledge and Employability Courses (See Administrative Procedure 214).
- Challenge examinations;
- Dual Credit, RAP, Green Certificate programming
- Waiver of prerequisite requirements;
- Evaluation of out-of-province courses/credits.
- Student placement shall take place following consultation with:
- The student;
- The parent(s) of the student if under eighteen (18) unless the student is declared independent;
- Appropriate teachers, counsellors, or Assistant Superintendent, Student Services, if required.
- Students requiring special services for placement purposes shall contact the Principal who shall follow the principles and procedures outlined in Alberta Education Regulations for the specific service requested.
- All decisions in regards to student placement may be appealed to the Superintendent.
Section 31, 52, 53, 197, 222 Education Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Approved: January 9, 1996
Amended: November 13, 2000; August 21, 2018