Attendance at educational conferences and seminars stimulates personal initiative and competence and provides a broadened perspective of educational procedures and matters.
- The Superintendent encourages school administrators to avail themselves of the opportunity to attend conferences that will enhance their professional development and where appropriate, attend conferences as an administrative team.
- School administrators may be allowed to attend one (1) International (U.S.A.) conference in any three (3) year period.
- Board approval must be obtained for conferences held outside continental North America.
- Administrators will be encouraged to attend a provincial conference in addition to the international conference during any three (3) year period.
- Applications for provincial conferences must be submitted at least one (1) month before the event. Applications for international conferences must be filed two (2) months prior to the conference dates.
- Attendance will be determined on a rotational basis by the Superintendent after consultation with individual principals.
- All administrators attending conferences shall be required to report to the other administrative personnel at a regular Principals’ meeting. Every effort will be made to provide in-service to other Division schools, as requested by principals and as directed by the Superintendent.
- All applications are subject to the approval of the Superintendent.
- The Division will allocate a maximum of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00) (currency appropriate) to assist in defraying the cost of international conference attendance, and one thousand two hundred fifty dollars ($1,250.00) to defray the costs of provincial conferences.
- The money will cover registration and transportation costs, as well as daily subsistence, as per Administrative Procedure 513 to the amount allowable.
- An administrator shall not use school-based professional development funds to attend these conferences.
- An administrator will not use more than six (6) substitute days per three (3) year period and will not be absent for more than four (4) school days for a conference.
- Monies will be allocated for an administrator to attend an international conference and provincial conference(s) over a three (3) year period.
- An administrator will not normally attend an international conference and a provincial conference the same year.
Section 33,52,53,197,202,203,204,222 Education Act
Leadership Quality Standard
Approved: December 1, 2009
Amended: June 19, 2003; December 1, 2009; August 21, 2018