It is the responsibility of the school custodial staff to keep the school facility clean, healthy and safe. These responsibilities are to be carried out under the leadership of the Director of Operations and Maintenance (O&M), a designated Head Custodian (where applicable), and in collaboration with the Principal.
- The custodial staff is an integral part of the school system.
- The major consideration in carrying out custodial responsibilities is to be the well-being, health and safety of all.
- The Director of O&M, assisted by the Principal shall be responsible for the work of the custodial staff as well as the cleanliness of the school and shall direct and evaluate custodial staff to achieve the best results possible by:
- Maintaining a high standard of building health, safety and cleanliness.
- Scheduling and supervising shifts of the custodial and cleaning staff.
- Ordering and maintaining appropriate supplies and equipment required for the school.
- Evaluating the performance of the custodians and cleaners.
- When deemed necessary, the Director of O&M, in consultation with the Principal(s) and the Secretary-Treasurer, may appoint a head custodian with supervisory responsibilities over a school(s) who shall assist the Director of O&M in any matters delegated to him/her.
- The Director of O&M shall:
- Provide training and/or assistance to the school custodial staff.
- Regularly inspect school facilities and conduct an annual building evaluation with the Principal and custodian.
- Meet monthly with the Principal
- Each school, under the direction of the Director of O&M and with the co-operation of the custodial staff and Principal, shall have a custodial handbook available for the custodial crew outlining specific expectations, routines and responsibilities for each school. This handbook may be modified and adjusted as time and practice dictates.
- All new substitute custodians will be provided with one (1) shift of training.
- In the event a substitute custodian is required, he/she will be hired on a per shift basis.
- Custodians shall be paid for special events and extra-curricular functions.
For all special events and extra-curricular functions that occur at times outside of regular custodial shifts, the cost for custodial service shall be the responsibility of the event sponsor. (Administrative Procedure 550)
Section 18, 20, 60, 61, 113, 16, 117 School Act
Employment Standards Code
Labour Relations Code
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Approved: May 13, 2004
Amended: April 29, 2004; January 9, 2018; August 21, 2018