A valuable contribution to education can be made by volunteers. Under the direction of the Principal of the school, the Division encourages the use of such individuals.
- The Principal shall have a method of approving all volunteers in the school. This may include a current criminal record check and a child intervention record check where deemed necessary due to the nature of the activity or Principal`s/school’s familiarity with the volunteer.
- A criminal record and child intervention record check shall be considered current if it has been obtained within the last three (3) years.
- When a volunteer has provided current checks and remains an annual volunteer in the Division, the checks shall be deemed to be current.
- In the event of the change in a criminal record check the onus is on the individual to inform the school immediately.
- Documentation shall be maintained at the school.
- Consent will be obtained:
- From a teacher before a volunteer is assigned
- From a parent if the volunteer is working with an individual student.
- It is expected that all volunteers will:
- Observe all school procedures,
- Keep all school and student(s) matters in confidence,
- Recognize and respect the authority of the teacher,
- Work directly under the supervision of the Principal or teacher.
- While specifics of assignments shall be the responsibility of the Principal, the following procedures are to be observed:
- A volunteer may:
- Give instructional support,
- Do clerical tasks, AV materials, activities,
- Use talents/hobbies as information base for class.
- A volunteer shall not:
- Diagnose educational needs of student(s),
- Prescribe remediation,
- Evaluate instructional results,
- Be responsible for instruction.
- A volunteer may:
- Volunteers shall be considered agents of the Division for school insurance purposes.
- Each teacher shall keep on file a written outline of any volunteer's duties and make such outline available to the Principal, the Superintendent or a designated officer of Alberta Teachers’ Association (A.T.A.) upon request.
Section 11,33,52,53,196,197,222,256 Education Act
Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Approved: June 11, 1996
Amended: June 11, 2011; August 21, 2018