A valuable contribution to education can be made by volunteers. Under the direction of the Principal of the school, the Division encourages the use of such individuals.
- The Principal shall approve all volunteers in the school. All volunteers are required to submit Form 490-1: Volunteer Registration Form, provide a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
- A vulnerable sector check shall be considered current if it has been obtained within the last three (3) years.
- When a volunteer has provided current checks and remains an annual volunteer in the Division, the checks shall be deemed to be current.
- In the event of a change in a vulnerable sector check the onus is on the individual to inform the school immediately.
- Documentation shall be maintained at the school.
- Consent will be obtained:
- From a teacher before a volunteer is assigned
- From a parent, if the volunteer is working with an individual student.
- It is expected that all volunteers will:
- Observe all school procedures,
- Keep all school and student(s) matters in confidence,
- Recognize and respect the authority of the teacher
- Work directly under the supervision of the Principal or teacher.
- While specifics of assignments shall be the responsibility of the Principal, the following procedures are to be observed:
- A volunteer may:
- Give instructional support,
- Assist with clerical tasks, AV materials, activities,
- Use talents/hobbies as an information base for class.
- A volunteer shall not:
- Diagnose educational needs of student(s),
- Prescribe remediation,
- Evaluate instructional results,
- Be responsible for instruction.
- A volunteer may:
- Volunteers shall be considered agents of the Division for school insurance purposes.
- Each teacher shall keep on file a written outline of any volunteer's duties and make such outline available to the Principal, the Superintendent or a designated officer of the Alberta Teachers’ Association (A.T.A.) upon request.
Section 11,196,197,251,256 Education Act
Approved: June 11, 1996
Amended: June 11, 2011; August 21, 2018; July 2022