The Division affirms that wherever possible, student(s) should be transported in fully licensed and safety-checked school busses. Under some circumstances, it may be necessary to use a smaller, private vehicle and in such cases, the following procedures shall apply.
- Any private vehicle used by a school group shall carry a liability clause covering up to two million dollars ($2,000,000).
- The Division assumes no responsibility for student(s) driving a private vehicle to any school function.
- The designated, authorized driver shall be:
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age,
- Not a student in the school, and
- Possess a current, valid driver’s license applicable to the vehicle being driven.
- A copy of the license and insurance is to be retained on file at the school.
- If the Principal has recognized the group as a school-sponsored group attending a school-approved activity, the Division insurance shall be called upon to cover any liability exceeding the two million dollars ($2,000,000) amount carried by the private vehicle.
- Care shall be taken that nothing is done to imply an employment or contractual relationship between the driver and Division or school.
Section 11,32,33,52,53,59,68,197,222,225 Education Act
Traffic Safety Act
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (amended AR 197/2000)
Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation 304/2002
Section 569, Insurance Act
Approved: January 22, 2004
Amended: November 24, 2003; September 12, 2005; August 21, 2018