Students - always listen to school bus drivers – they’re in charge. If you forget any of the school bus safety rules they can tell you what it takes to be a safe bus rider.
- Stand in a group while waiting for the bus. Don’t run around.
- Stay out of the danger zone until the bus driver lets you know it’s safe to get on. If you can touch the bus, you’re too close.
- Once the bus arrives, line up with the smaller children at the front. Get on the bus one at a time.
- Use the handrail when getting on or off the bus.
- Take your seat right away and stay seated until you leave the bus.
- Face forward and don’t throw things inside the bus or out the bus window.
- Talk quietly and keep your head and arms inside the bus.
- Wait until the bus stops before standing. Move away after leaving the bus.
The bus driver is in full charge of the bus at all times. Students are accountable for their behaviour on the bus. Passengers must obey the driver promptly and in a courteous manner. When a student’s behaviour is unacceptable or rules have been disobeyed, the driver will file a misconduct report with the school administrator. The administrator will investigate the incident and take appropriate actions.
- Noise is to be kept to an acceptable level. Shouting, fighting, harassment and/or disorderly conduct by students will not be tolerated.
- Students shall not stand, change seats, or move about the bus while the bus is in motion.
- Students shall not extend any object or arms or head out of the bus windows.
- Garbage must be placed in a receptacle designated by the driver or packed off the bus with the student. No garbage shall be thrown on the floor or out of the windows of the bus. Do not dispose of your garbage while the bus is in motion.
- Drivers have the ability to determine whether or not eating or drinking will be permitted on board the bus. Students are to adhere to the driver’s directions in this regard.
- Profane language will not be tolerated. Students shall not engage in behaviour that may be deemed vulgar, abusive and/or that which constitutes harassment.
- The use or possession of intoxicants/other controlled substances is prohibited.
- Smoking and the use of other tobacco products are not permitted on the bus.
- Students must not distract the driver.
The driver may develop a seating plan and each student shall sit in the assigned seat. Students have the responsibility of readily accepting the seat specifically assigned by the driver. Students will sit in their assigned seat at all times unless authorized by the driver.
Use of Personal Devices, iPad/iPod, etc.
Students are not permitted to play an electronic device that plays sound without earphones while on the bus. Any apparatus that is operated with the use of earphones shall be operated at a level that ensures that the sound does not affect other passengers nor interfere with the driver’s ability to communicate with the students on the bus. Any of this type of equipment is under the immediate control of the driver.
Personal Items Brought Onto the Bus by Students
The size and number of personal items brought onto buses is a growing concern for our transportation system. In order to ensure safety of students, the following will apply.
- Skates are permitted on school buses only if the blades are protected by blade guards or they are carried in a tote bag and placed under the student’s seat.
- Skis, snowboards, and skate boards are not allowed on buses.
- Any item that cannot fit under the seats is not allowed on buses.
- Hockey sticks are permitted on buses only if they can be wedged and secured in a fashion that they cannot be dislodged when the brakes of the bus are applied.
- Band instruments may be carried on the bus only if they will fit under the bus seats.
- Large duffle bags and backpacks can be carried on the bus only if they can easily fit under the bus seats. The ease of storage for these items must be a consideration as bus routes cannot be delayed by the effort to safely stow these large articles.
- Because the safety of students is our main concern, parents must be aware that knives of any type are not permitted on school buses. This includes jackknives that are quite commonplace in our society. If a student requires a knife to eat lunch, the student should check at the staff room of the school for the item required.
Certain items are prohibited on school buses by board policy as follows:
- “No person shall, while transporting pupils on a school bus, convey in or on the school bus
- Flammable materials or substances,
- Fuel other than in the fuel system and fuel tank of the bus, or
- Anything of a dangerous or objectionable nature, or
- Anything that may endanger the lives or safety of persons in the bus.”
Drivers have been directed to enforce the above rules regarding the student’s carry on items. Students attempting to board the bus with an article that does not conform with the above will be required to leave the item behind or may be turned away from boarding the bus with the item.